SAN FRANCISCO – Covet, the Bay area trio who recently announced the impending arrival of their third album, catharsis (April 7, Triple Crown Records) have released “lovespell” a second track, and accompanying video, from the eagerly-awaited album.
Yvette Young says of the song: “This one is the album closer. The closest feeling I get to falling in love is when I write and play music, and this song is a tribute to that feeling of being totally smitten by the joy of creating and feeling things deeply. It was important to me to leave everyone on a high note (in this case, a saxophone solo provided by the amazing Alex Rose from Minus the Bear).”
The “lovespell” video was also directed by Tom Flynn, who also partnered with the band for the recently released, free-spirited “firebird” clip. Kerrang! described the track “dazzling,” LouderSound called it “fret-bendingly good,” and Guitar World, in a nod to Yvette’s playing style, dubbed it “tap-happy.”
“We did a lot of risk-taking on this album,” Yvette explains of the 8-song, Scott Evans (Thrice, Samiam)-produced album. “I try to follow what excites me without heeding anybody’s expectations. I’m leaning into melodies, tones, and textures and trying to use them to transport listeners. The whole concept is escaping into a fantasy realm where the songs depict different characters and their own worlds. Each song is like their theme song. It’s mostly instrumental, but when you close your eyes, I hope people will be transported into the character’s story.
“Music has always been escapism for me and a great source of therapy. My hope for this music is that it will take people somewhere and stir their imaginations, or at the very least, make them feel something. I named this record ‘catharsis’ because the word to me feels like a triumphant exodus. No matter the dire circumstances, music is one of those things that I’ve always needed to create to survive (in all senses of the word), and time and time again, I turn to guitar and songwriting as my outlet to uplift and feel like I have control over something in this chaotic universe.”
Album pre-orders, which include several limited-edition vinyl variants, CD, and digital pre-saves are available here.
Covet catharsis tour dates:
Scarypoolparty and altopalo open on all dates.
- April 7 – Portland, OR – Wonder Ballroom
- April 8 – Vancouver, BC – Biltmore Cabaret
- April 9 – Seattle, WA – Neumos
- April 11 – Salt Lake City, UT – Soundwell
- April 13 – Denver, CO – Meow Wolf
- April 14 – Lawrence, KS – The Bottleneck
- April 15 – St. Louis, MO – Delmar Hall
- April 17 – St. Paul, MN – Amsterdam Music Hall
- April 18 – Madison, WI – High Noon Saloon
- April 20 – Chicago, IL – Bottom Lounge
- April 21 – Ann Arbor, MI – Blind Pig
- April 22 – Toronto, ON – Lee’s Palace
- April 23 – Montreal, QC – Café Campus
- April 25 – Pittsburgh, PA – Thunderbird Music Hall
- April 26 – Brooklyn, NY – Brooklyn Bowl
- April 27 – Boston, MA – Royale
- April 28 – Philadelphia, PA – Brooklyn Bowl
- April 29 – Vienna, VA – Jammin’ Java
- May 1 – Asheville, NC – The Grey Eagle
- May 2 – Nashville, TN – Brooklyn Bowl
- May 3 – Atlanta, GA – The Masquerade (Hell)
- May 5 – Dallas, TX – Studio at The Factory
- May 6 – Austin, TX – Scoot Inn
- May 8 – Albuquerque, NM – Launchpad
- May 10 – Phoenix, AZ – Crescent Ballroom
- May 11 – Solana Beach, CA – Belly Up
- May 12 – Los Angeles, CA – The Roxy
- May 13 – Santa Cruz, CA – The Catalyst
Tickets for all shows are on-sale now.
Covet is Yvette Young (guitar/vocals), Brandon Dove (bass) and Jessica Burdeaux (drums). The Bay Area-born band released their debut album, effloresce in 2018, followed by technicolor in 2020. Exclaim said technicolor “sparkles with the wonder of creativity,” Treble Zine described the 10-song collection as “engaging” and “dynamic,” while Brooklyn Vegan said the band thrives on “sugar-sweet melodies.”
Featured photo (top) by Sara Phung